OPCD’s annual Job Fair is on Thursday, February 7, from 4:00- 6:00pm in the SB Hall Multipurpose Room. Some careful preparation can help you make a lasting impression and could lead to a great summer internship or even a full-time position after graduation.
Here are some things recruiters will notice:
- Dress professionally.
- Do your research and come prepared to talk to the companies that most interest you, but it’s not necessary to be an expert on every company.
- Work on your “elevator pitch.” It should include your name, your major, your expected graduation date, and your career goals.
- While talking with a recruiter, give some insight into what you hope to do and highlight one or two key pieces of your resume.
A few more tips from the OPCD Career Counselors:
- Be prepared to talk about not only what experience you have, but also what you hope to do in the future.
- Thoughtful questions about an employer’s business will make a good impression.
- Practice your elevator pitch, but don’t memorize it. You want to come across as personable and confident. If this kind of activity is outside your comfort zone, practice with a friend.
- Bring extra copies of your resume in a padfolio or a plain folder.
- Try not to be nervous about talking to employers. They will be there to meet you, and they want to hear about you.
The job fair is a great opportunity- don’t miss it!
To view a list of employers who will be present at the job fair, click here.